Content writing is a strategic way of playing with words to inform, persuade, and engage the target audience with effective writing skills. Undoubtedly, it is an art that is purely based on the critical analysis and creativity of the writer.
There are some must-have elements of content that ensure its quality. If you learn to incorporate these elements in your content then you can easily become a professional content writer.
I call these must-have elements the \”6 Cs of Content Writing for effective writing skills\” which are as follows:
Whether you create content for a website or marketing collateral, it must be well-researched, grammatically correct, easy to understand, and unique. It can be possible only if you make sure that your content has all the 6 Cs.
Let\’s have a breakdown of the 6 Cs of content writing so that you can better understand how to create quality content in an effective way.
Concreteness is an essential element of content. It means that the content you write should be authentic and relevant. There should not be any informational, semantic, or contextual errors.
In simple words, concreteness makes the content \”reliable\” for the readers.
The concrete content contains accurate and required information. You can create concrete content only if you thoroughly research the topic. Research, read, and analyze multiple resources to gather detailed, valid information for your topic.
Whenever you start writing, your prime focus should be on studying a variety of relevant articles. The more you study, the more you find relevant information and language choice to include in your content.
Correctness refers to grammatical and morphological accuracy in writing. The content you create must be free from grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors. Moreover, there shouldn\’t be any misused words in it.
Even if your content is semantically accurate (meaning-wise), it will not be accepted if it contains inappropriate words and structures. The wording you choose to convey the intended meaning must be accurate.
You can maintain correctness in your content if you pay attention to these two factors:
- Choose the right words as per the context
- Create the sentences as per the grammatical rules
In simple words, your content should be well-written in terms of diction (choice of words) and syntax (the way words are combined to construct sentences).
The clarity in writing means that the content is readable to the target audience. The information must be clearly expressed and the wording must be easy to understand.
There shouldn\’t be any ambiguities (confusing terms or statements) in your content. Every statement should be clear in terms of wording and meaning.
You can follow these simple guidelines to maintain clarity in your content and make sure that it has a higher readability score:
- choose easy-to-understand words
- be cautious about the form of the verb
- create simple, brief sentences
- pay special attention to punctuation
- use correct spellings
- avoid passive construction
- segment content in short paragraphs
- focus on hierarchy
Everything that constitutes your content including words, sentences, headings, and paragraphs must be clear or else, readers will not bother to go through it.
In short, you should create your content in a way that the readers can easily find, read, and use it to their advantage.
The content will not be clear and readable for the readers unless you make it tfree. Whenever you write, make sure to present your ideas in a precise (to-the-point) manner.
There shouldn\’t be any unnecessary details in your content. It should be free from extra terms and baffling statements. If you pay attention then you will find a hundred ways to condense your sentences and write them in a concise way.
Avoid writing lengthy statements and passages in your content. Instead, keep your content short and sweet. For instance, you can combine two related ideas and describe them all together in a brief statement. If you try to make your content concise then make sure that the context remains intact. Moreover, there shouldn\’t be any effect on the readability as well.
In short, your information should not include any extraneous details. Especially, the way you present the required information in the content should also be brief and direct.
Connectivity in writing refers to the logical and syntactic connection between ideas. This means that your content must have cohesion and coherence in it.
The words within sentences, the sentences within paragraphs, and the paragraphs within the entire article – everything must be connected with each other. Likewise, the way you move from one idea to another throughout the article must be logical and consistent.
It is count as an Effective Writing Skills to tie one sentence to another and one paragraph to another while writing. This is simple: you need to make sure that you are writing in a proper flow without leaving out or mixing any information. For instance, your previous sentence must be connected to your next sentence and your previous paragraph must be connected to your next paragraph.
There must be a coherent text flow in your writing. It must make sense to the readers while they read it thoroughly.
You can use \”transition markers\” such as however, moreover, now, well, etc to ensure the connectivity of semantic ideas and lexical choices within your content. Indeed, the transition words help the best to make a text coherent and enhance its readability. There are various other strategies that you can adopt to maintain connectivity in your content.
In simple words, your content must have a logical flow and readers should be able to understand it without any confusion. This is important for your content to be clear and readable.
Creativity is the most important element in Effective Writing Skills. This means that your content must stand out from the rest. There shouldn\’t be any similarities in your writing pattern.
We often hear that content should be unique and free from plagiarism. Indeed, there should not be any plagiarism in your content but keep in mind that avoiding plagiarism doesn\’t guarantee that your content is unique.
Your content becomes unique when you add creativity to it. You need to be creative with the way you present the required information in it. The way you create content on a topic must be different from how other authors have written about it. Everything that constitutes your content including the words, syntax, tone, paragraphing, and overall organization must be unique.
You must come up with your own writing style to cover a topic or else, it will never be considered unique in terms of creativity.
Also Read: How to Start Content Writing for Beginners
- Content writing is a process that involves the creation of informative, readable, and well-structured content
- Quality content is the one that expresses the intended meaning in a completely unique and understandable way
- The 6 Cs of content writing are the key to creating quality content without any hassle
- The 6 Cs of content writing include concreteness, correctness, clarity, conciseness, connectivity, and creativity
- Concreteness means that content contains all the required (authentic and valid) information to meet the needs of the target audience
- Correctness refers to the syntactic and semantic accuracy of content which is crucial for readability
- In order to maintain correctness in content, you need to make sure that it is free from potential writing errors such as incorrect grammar, spelling, punctuation, and words
- Clarity refers to the ability to express the intended meaning in a brief and simple manner
- The content is regarded as clear to understand only if it is well-structured
- Conciseness means that the words are put together in a way that is to-the-point and easier to understand
- The content can be written in a concise way by avoiding the use of unnecessary, confusing terms
- Connectivity in content means that it has a coherent text flow
- The use of cohesive devices such as transition words within sentences and paragraphs can help to maintain connectivity
- Creativity in content refers to the uniqueness that the writer maintains with his own writing pattern
- The choice of words, syntactic structures, paragraphing format, and organization of information must be unique to make the content creative and stand out